Acai berry is a reddish purple, inch long berry present on Acai palm trees. They’re mainly found in South and Central American regions.
Health Benefits: Acai berries have found to be very beneficial and a high number of individuals consume these berries to treat different health conditions.
Some of the benefits of Acai berries are presented as below:
- Acai berries contain high amounts of anthocyanins, which are a type of antioxidant found in plants. It has the ability to reduce cholesterol levels in the blood and can diminish the risk of heart disease. A Las Vegas-based registered dietitian, Andy Bellatti claims, “It’s also one of the few fruits with oleic acid—the same heart-healthy fat in olive oil,” indicating the best health benefit of Acai berries.
- It is known as a super-food. Hence, it can be very beneficial for reducing weight if you make it a part of your daily diet. It can also reduce the negative factors of a high fat diet and can help you lose weight just simply by including it in your diet.
- Acai berries contain Acai oil, which is extremely good for your skin as it contains antioxidant properties and can give your skin a healthier glow.
- Acai berries allow your digestive system to work properly by cleansing it and maintaining the optimal function because of its detoxification capabilities and high fiber content.
- Acai berries can also reduce respiratory irritation and distress and can relief your allergies problem to some extent.
- The anthocyanins found in the Acai berries can play a significant role in the enhancement of cellular health and make your cells stronger against infections.
- Acai berries contain high amounts of ellagic acid and Vitamin C, and can be very helpful in boosting your immune system as well suppressing disease. Acai berries contain phyto-chemicals which can halt the process of illness and disease.
- Acai berries can reverse or stop the natural process of aging to some extent which occurs as a result of oxidative damage. It contains the antioxidants which have the ability to reverse the process of oxidative damage that occurs in aging.
- Taking high levels of Acai berries can increase the stamina and energy levels and can help you to fight off fatigue and exhaustion.
Usage in Beauty Products: Acai berry contains oil which has antioxidant properties. This why it is used in beauty and cosmetic products as it can be a safe alternative to the tropical oils that are normally used in beauty products. Acai oil is commonly used in products like shampoos, anti aging skin therapies, body creams, facials, and conditioners. For usage in these products, Acai oil is processed and kept in storage for longer time periods as it increases the antioxidant properties and makes the product more valuable.
Side Effects: Acai berries have no prominent or drastic side effect except perhaps the possible allergic reaction that can occur if an individual is allergic to pollen grapes or certain species of berries. Moreover, if you are consuming Acai berries in high proportion then it can have mild side effects for your body. Therefore, you should first consult with your doctor prior to consuming increased amount of these berries.
For more information about the topic in this article, please visit http://www.phountainmedia.com. The Phountain Lifestyle and all written materials are copyright © 2015 Phountain Franchise Inc. All Rights Reserved.
ESPINOSA, D. Acai Berries Health Benefits.
Marcason, W. (2009). What is the acai berry and are there health benefits?. Journal of the American Dietetic Association, 109(11), 1968.
McColman, B. (2011). Acai Berry Benefits From Acai Berry Select.
Schauss, A. G., Wu, X., Prior, R. L., Ou, B., Huang, D., Owens, J., ... & Shanbrom, E. (2006). Antioxidant capacity and other bioactivities of the freeze-dried Amazonian palm berry, Euterpe oleraceae mart.(acai). Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 54(22), 8604-8610.